Who am I ?
Hi. I’m Steve, a 24 years old French boy. I live in a small city called La Turballe (It’s near Nantes if you want to check it). I’m studying Digital Management in Kedge Business School in the city of Bordeaux but this year I decided to take a gap year :-).
From July until January, I did an internship within the PR department of a TV channel. It was my first big internship and was really interesting! But, because I was spending a lot of time in front of a computer performing different tasks, I decided to spend the rest of my gap year doing something totally different!
I was especially interested in doing some volunteer work in a foreign country. The European Voluntary Service seemed to be the best opportunity for me (And I assure you it was!). But most of you might not know what is an European Voluntary Service.
What is an EVS ?
An EVS project is a partnership between two organizations, a sending and a hosting organization. These organizations are in charge of recruiting the volunteers and, then, they will continue with monitoring the activity of the volunteers throughout the actual projects they volunteered for.
Projects last from 2 weeks to 12 months, and as a volunteer you can work in a wide range of activity sectors such as public education, culture, sports, ecology etc… After you complete the EVS you volunteered for, you will receive the Youth Pass certificate ;-).
And don’t worry! You will receive free accommodation, money for food, insurance and pocket money. The hosting organization can even cover your travel costs :).
What is my project about?
I was searching an EVS project on the Facebook group “EVS vacancy” and I found a project called “Step-up. Build your career”. This project aims to help the local community and especially to encourage and support the high school students to develop their communication and their general skills. Within this project, my responsibilities are:
- To deliver workshops on the following topics “Public speaking”, “Creativity” or “Environmental protection” (using creative and interactive methods)
- To teach my native language (French in my case) 3. to organize cultural events (for example Opportunities for youngsters :-))
Why have I chosen this project ?
I decided to choose this project because:
- I want to share my knowledge and my culture with other people and also to learn from their own experience and input
- I like teaching my native tongue 😀
- I want to improve my English
- Last, but not least, my objective within EVS is my personal development (to develop my inner self i.e. to improve my communication and social skills, to become more aware and familiar with the concept of multiculturalism, to improve all the needed skills for a successful career).
- Also, a special reason for me being so interested in Romania is that I have relatives here.
- Also, it seems that Romania is well known also for the techno music produced here